The Kossuth Ferencz Hungarian Literary, Sick, and Benevolent Association was founded in 1904 to help Jewish immigrants from Hungary who settled in New York City. Through membership dues and fundraising events, the group was able to help newcomers make a smoother transition to life in America with affordable medical attention, social activities, literacy assistance, and burial arrangements. This non-profit society, later incorporated as the Kossuth Association of New York, was named for a former Minister of Commerce in Hungary who, like his father Lajos Kossuth, was a dedicated advocate for Hungarian independence. Since Mount Hebron was established, nearly 600 members and their relatives have been buried in the Kossuth Association section, which features stately pillars and gates honoring the group's male and female leaders, all immigrants themselves. - Written by Marian Burk Wood, a descendant of Kossuth founders.